Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 17:33:16 +0100
From: Demian Smith <demian.smith@....de>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Advise on best approach (truecrypt pw based on pdf
 file)

Hi again,

> Did you try that new word list first? You should.

> Even if incremental now runs what you intended, it could take a LONG time (as in years) to hit the correct phrase. What if you use that wordlist you produced and instead of making a fake pot file, use it directly as a wordlist in a crack? If it's the correct book I reckon you'd crack your password in no time, no?

I should have, indeed - I just did, but no luck. Potentially due to a
typo or, more likely, a phrase compiled out of only a partial sentence
in the book...

I was hoping in the beginning it would crack with a word list, but it
looks like I am out of luck in this regard...

>> It looks to me you should upgrade to latest version from GitHub. Jim did
>> some significant speedup in Truecrypt (if you are lucky enough the right
>> algo is used)

Oh, last time I checked (a while ago) this had been the newest. I'm
downloading the newer one right now.

>> Also, do not use MPI unless you really need it (that is, run a cluster
>> over the network). Most people do better using --fork.

I think MPI is there from my first autoconfig and only for hashes that
don't support OMP (in case I ever would need it). I run john with an alias:
alias john='OMP_NUM_THREADS=4 ~/.bin/JtR/run/john'

My benachmark looks like this (with the latest bleeding from github
which I downloaded and made in the meantime)
initUnicode(UNICODE, ASCII/ASCII)
ASCII -> ASCII -> ASCII
Will run 4 OpenMP threads
Benchmarking: tc_aes_xts, TrueCrypt AES256_XTS [SHA512 128/128 SSE4.1 2x
/RIPEMD160/WHIRLPOOL]... (4xOMP) DONE
Speed for cost 1 (hash algorithm [1:SHA512 2:RIPEMD160 3:Whirlpool]) of 1
Raw:    2112 c/s real, 550 c/s virtual

Benchmarking: tc_ripemd160, TrueCrypt AES256_XTS [RIPEMD160 32/64]...
(4xOMP) DONE
Raw:    472 c/s real, 117 c/s virtual

Benchmarking: tc_sha512, TrueCrypt AES256_XTS [SHA512 128/128 SSE4.1
2x]... (4xOMP) DONE
Raw:    2096 c/s real, 547 c/s virtual

Benchmarking: tc_whirlpool, TrueCrypt AES256_XTS [WHIRLPOOL 64/64]...
(4xOMP) DONE
Raw:    696 c/s real, 174 c/s virtualAll 3 formats passed self-tests!

(I ran the benachmark with the older version of John and boy is there a
difference)

> Also, when you resume the job, copy the inital lines output when job starts and report them too; Is it loading two "hashes"? Shouldn't it be just one?

It does load 2 hashes alright, not sure what the reason would be, though?

version 1.8.0.4-jumbo-1-bleeding_omp [linux-gnu 64-bit SSE4.1-autoconf]

>Loaded 2 password hashes with 2 different salts (tc_ripemd160,
TrueCrypt AES256_XTS >[RIPEMD160 32/64])
>Will run 4 OpenMP threads
>Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
>0g 3178604p 0:19:58:10  0g/s 44.21p/s 88.42c/s 88.42C/s AioseaaU

Would it be better to double check the hash file and maybe create it
anew? Or is it a mal configuration of john.conf ?

Again, thank you so much guys for your help and support!

Demian