Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 18:47:37 +0100
From: Demian Smith <demian.smith@....de>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Advise on best approach (truecrypt pw based on pdf file)

Hi,

I've recently lost my truecrypt PW and am thinking to approach the
recovery with JtR but am unsure about the best approach to do so. So
hopefully I could get a couple of pointers into the correct direction of
setting it up.

I know a couple of facts, which hopefully make it feasible in the first
place:
- I have created the password from a random page of a random book¹
- First letter MUST be capital
- No numbers or diacritics,
- Likely only I as second capital letter
- No digits
- Probably 5 -12 chars (I imagine it to be around 8, but that's guessing)

At the moment I have tried creating a fake pot file from ¹ and creating
a chr of it and then building a incremental rule:

[Incremental:rc]
File = $JOHN/rc.chr
MinLen = 5
MaxLen = 12
CharCount = 36

And have now tried up till now
0g 7093116p 2:14:48:30  0g/s 31.37p/s 62.74c/s 62.74C/s toisooaaa..toisooatc

However, I feel like wasting loads of work and time with tries I don't
need (whitespaces - which I thought I had removed -, non-capital letters
as first letter...) and I assume there must be a more efficient way of
attempting my recovery.

I am running
1.8.0.2-bleeding-jumbo_mpi+omp [linux-gnu 64-bit SSE4.1-autoconf]
on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU  M 480  @ 2.67GHz

So, can I please ask your advise on how to apply a decent statistical
analysis on the txt of the book and/or prepare a proper
incremental/external rule or, simply speaking, what's the best approach
in your opinions?

(¹ I have tried
cat INFILE | sed -re 's/[?!.:]/\n/g' | sed -re
's/([A-Za-z])[A-Za-z]+[^A-Za-z]*/\1/g' > outfile
on a txt version of the pdf and using "outfile" as a wordlist - no luck)

Kind regards and thank you in advance,
Demian