Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 01:37:04 -0500
From: David J Anderssen <davejanderssen@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: JtR on Acronis .tib files?

Hi john-users,

First I would like to say thank you for the great work on JtR. I'm posting
hoping to learn if JtR can be used on Acronis True Image backup (.tib)
files, as I've lost the password to one.

Assuming a similar encryption scheme, I tried truecrypt_volume2john from
1.8.0-Jumbo-1 which seems to process .tib files without throwing any
errors, but the resulting hash doesn't seem to be correct.

Testing a 3KB .tib sample file containing one directory with two text
files, AES 256 selected, created with password "test":
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9w5VudAfSA_ell1MkI4dUo5TVU/

Running JtR with default password.lst(includes "test") on the hash file
extracted from the .tib file via truecrypt_volume2john will complete its
run but gives: "0 password hashes cracked, 3 left"

Has work been done on this .tib format previously? It seems to be nearly
supported if treated liked a truecrypt volume, or at least
truecrypt_volume2john will return hashes from a .tib file without printing
an error. If the two formats are similar might there be a tib2john? I could
also be doing something wrong resulting in the failed cracking. If anyone
could please comment on this format it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
David