Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 14:24:45 -0600
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: rar2john problem with old DOS rars

I have pushed this the main jumbo git repo.  It should be a 'safe' change.  The original code simply read 13 bytes for the main archive header.  The change still does that BUT it now looks at the 'header size' short integer contained within this header.  If that value is larger than 13, then it simple moves the file read pointer ahead that many bytes to skip this.   It appears that the main file archive header is only larger than 13 bytes IF there is a file comment header following those 13 bytes.  But if that is the case, then the header size within the main archive header will be > 13 bytes, exactly large enough to skip past this file comment header.

The code is currently in the bleeding jumbo git repo  ( git://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper -b bleeding-jumbo )

Please have a look, and report back if this gets the hashes for all these older files you have.