Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 16:43:00 +0300
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <lyosha@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: phpass and $dynamic_17$

I played a bit with phpass and its forms. phpass could be loaded as
"phpass [phpass ($P$ or $H$) 32/64 1x2  (MD5_body)]" or
"dynamic_17 [phpass ($P$ or $H$) 32/64 1x2  (MD5_body)]"

(I used most recent bleeding-jumbo from the git. It looks it became
the default branch.)

I tried several forms of hashes: with $P$ and $H$ prefixes, with
$dynamic_17$ prefix, without prefix at all (with salt at the beginning
or at the end).

Observations:

john does not load the hashes without any prefix.

john saves the hashes with $dynamic_17$ prefix into john.pot.

When I don't specify --format= , john loads $P$ as phpass and
$dynamic_17$ as dynamic_17 but for dynamic_17, it shows that it is
possible to load the hashes as phpass while it does not show similar
option for phpass.

With --format=phpass, both $P$ and $dynamic_17$ files are loaded the
same way.

With --format=dynamic_17, only $dynamic_17$ is loaded, $P$ could not
be loaded this way. It explains why john does not propose options for
$P$.

Thanks!

--
Regards,