Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 7:00:45 -0400
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Subject: Re: John the Ripper v1.8.0.2-bleeding-jumbo-2014-09-28
 for windows is available on the custom-builds wiki page

---- Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 07:50:19PM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm afraid this version (just assuming from Sep 28 in the filename) likely
> > > have an immature version of Sayantan's new, faster, mask mode. It entered
> > > the scene in Sep 24 and still isn't 100% stable as of now (we have a resume
> > > problem with node/fork and still regression testing other things) so
> > > there's no point in updating it yet though. We should have a good version
> > > within a day or two. Sorry 'bout that!
> >
> > In addition, Fork doesn't work well with Cygwin, I'm not sure if it should
> > have a disable option or if it does. Node I've not tried enough, but I've
> > posted a few times about Fork issues. Truth be told, I have not tried fork
> > on 64-bit cygwin however.
>
> --fork support is excluded from Windows builds by default:
>
> #if defined(__DJGPP__) || defined(__CYGWIN32__) || defined(_MSC_VER) || defined(__MINGW32__)
> #define OS_FORK				0
> #else
> #define OS_FORK				1
> #endif

Not fully the case, since fork support is controlled by autoconfig in a AC build.  The configure script lists FORK as being available AND working on cygwin[64] builds. It IS NOT, at least for JtR.  We simply have not removed the option by force over the incorrect guess of the configure process.