Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 03:45:26 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Is there any high-speed beta code for nt-opencl,
 netntlmv2-opencel and mssql05-opencl?

On 2014-09-23 21:24, Richard Miles wrote:
> By masking + wordlist do you mean the same masking mode used by hashcat?

I suppose it's basically like Hashcat's "hybrid attack" but I have tried
neither.

> What about the tradicional and good rules mode from john? :)

They are generated on CPU. This might change some day but don't hold
your breath waiting for it.

> So, is this one (https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper.git) which
> supports generation on GPU? For netntlmv2 is it supported as well?

It's the (non-default) bleeding-mask branch of that repo, yes. It's
quirky but it's pretty fast.

> LOL, it may be weird, but just to keep compatibility with the old legacy,
> why not rename the ntlmv2-opencl to netntlmv2-opencl?

Like I said, I consider netntlmv2 a bogus name. The CPU format should be
renamed to NTLMv2, if anything.

> Just for curious, why not? I mean, the speed that my computer is able to
> read the wordlist file is much faster in comparison with my GPU and
> wordlist with rules on john...so, why it's not worth?

You suck royally at quoting. The reason there's no point in implementing
fast formats until we have GPU-side candidate generation is they won't
be any faster than the already existing CPU formats.

magnum