Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 22:05:37 -0800
From: Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: nVidia Maxwell support (especially descrypt)?

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 11:38 PM, Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 12:57 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
> wrote:
> >> For now, I think someone with a Maxwell GPU should try building and
> >> benchmarking our descrypt-opencl on it with the S-boxes that use
> >> bitselect().
> >
> > Unless someone else can do it faster, I'll acquire a card -- but will
> > need some help wrangling the S-boxes.
>
> I now have a 750 Ti installed, and also have the latest bleeding-jumbo
> source staged locally.  If my setup can help test what Solar suggested
> above, I am ready to do so.

No pressure - just forgot to include basic benchmark as a baseline for when
some cycles are available to look at this.

$ ./john --list=build-info
Version: 1.8.0.2-bleeding-jumbo OMP
Build: linux-gnu 64-bit AVX-autoconf
Arch: 64-bit LE
$JOHN is ./
Format interface version: 12
Max. number of reported tunable costs: 3
Rec file version: REC4
Charset file version: CHR3
CHARSET_MIN: 1 (0x01)
CHARSET_MAX: 255 (0xff)
CHARSET_LENGTH: 24
Max. Markov mode level: 400
Max. Markov mode password length: 30
Compiler version: 4.6.3
gcc version: 4.6.3
OpenCL library version: 1.1
OpenSSL library version: 01000100f
OpenSSL 1.0.1 14 Mar 2012
GMP library version: 5.0.2
NSS library version: 3.15.4
NSPR library version: 4.9.5
Kerberos version 5 support enabled
fseek(): fseek
ftell(): ftell
fopen(): fopen
memmem(): System's

$ ./john --test --format=descrypt-opencl --device=0
Device 0: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Build log:
ptxas info    : 0 bytes gmem
ptxas info    : Compiling entry function 'DES_bs_25_b' for 'sm_50'
ptxas info    : Function properties for DES_bs_25_b
ptxas         .     256 bytes stack frame, 0 bytes spill stores, 0 bytes
spill loads
ptxas info    : Used 74 registers, 15876 bytes smem, 348 bytes cmem[0]
Local worksize (LWS) 64, Global worksize (GWS) 16384
Benchmarking: descrypt-opencl, traditional crypt(3) [DES OpenCL]... DONE
Many salts: 21802K c/s real, 21802K c/s virtual
Only one salt: 19206K c/s real, 19398K c/s virtual

Royce