Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 23:38:21 -0800
From: Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: nVidia Maxwell support (especially descrypt)?

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 12:57 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>> For now, I think someone with a Maxwell GPU should try building and
>> benchmarking our descrypt-opencl on it with the S-boxes that use
>> bitselect().
>
> Unless someone else can do it faster, I'll acquire a card -- but will
> need some help wrangling the S-boxes.

I now have a 750 Ti installed, and also have the latest bleeding-jumbo
source staged locally.  If my setup can help test what Solar suggested
above, I am ready to do so.

In an interesting side note, for some reason, some  device specs are
mismatched in the --list output.  I double-checked against temperature
and fan speed and they're definitely swapped.  The 750s are known for
running much cooler than older nvidias, for example.

$ ./john --list=opencl-devices
Platform #0 name: NVIDIA CUDA
Platform version: OpenCL 1.1 CUDA 6.5.14
Device #0 (0) name: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Device vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Device type: GPU (LE)
Device version: OpenCL 1.1 CUDA
Driver version: 340.32
Native vector widths: char 1, short 1, int 1, long 1
Preferred vector width: char 1, short 1, int 1, long 1
Global Memory: 1.0 GB
Global Memory Cache: 80.0 KB
Local Memory: 47.0 KB (Local)
Max memory alloc. size: 511.5 MB
Max clock (MHz): 1137
Profiling timer res.: 1000 ns
Max Work Group Size: 1024
Parallel compute cores: 5
Warp size: 32
Max. GPRs/work-group: 65536
Kernel exec. timeout: yes
Fan speed: 66%
Temperature: 88°C

Device #1 (1) name: GeForce GTX 480
Device vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Device type: GPU (LE)
Device version: OpenCL 1.1 CUDA
Driver version: 340.32
Native vector widths: char 1, short 1, int 1, long 1
Preferred vector width: char 1, short 1, int 1, long 1
Global Memory: 1.0 GB
Global Memory Cache: 240.2 KB
Local Memory: 47.0 KB (Local)
Max memory alloc. size: 383.3 MB
Max clock (MHz): 1401
Profiling timer res.: 1000 ns
Max Work Group Size: 1024
Parallel compute cores: 15
Stream processors: 480  (15 x 32)
Warp size: 32
Max. GPRs/work-group: 32768
Kernel exec. timeout: yes
Fan speed: 32%
Temperature: 44°C

... whereas nvidia-smi shows the expected fan and temps:

$  nvidia-smi
Tue Sep 16 23:35:06 2014
| NVIDIA-SMI 340.32     Driver Version: 340.32         |
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|   0  GeForce GTX 480     Off  | 0000:01:00.0     N/A |                  N/A |
| 67%   90C    P0    N/A /  N/A |    470MiB /  1535MiB |     N/A      Default |