Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 00:40:53 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Problem running John on Windows when trying
 to crack sha512 encrypted /etc/shadow from Linux

On 2014-09-13 18:57, Robert Harris wrote:
> I think I'm going to build the latest versions and put it on the
> custom-builds site.   I haven't done this in a while...

Great, I believe that would be appreciated by many users.

> Are we ever going to have a minor version number again, something
> like john-1.8.1-jumbo-1?  We haven't had one in a while, and that is
> part of the reason why I haven't made builds on the custom-builds
> wiki.

Perhaps someone would need to sponsor Solar for making a "proper"
release. I guess he wants to, but doesn't ever get the time. I think we
should not use the term "Jumbo-1" for anything other than a "proper"
release by Solar.

> Is there an appropriate name for a bleeding edge build?  What a
> stable (Is that even still around?)? If so, do you guys think it is
> better to build stable or bleeding?
>
> Since we haven't used a minor unofficial build number in a while, is
> there a time/version that is better to build?

The current bleeding-jumbo is based on latest core CVS, which is version
1.8.0.2 with minor fixes over released 1.8.

The most canonical name you could use might be the Git commit hash, or
just seven digits of it (that's kinda standard abbreviation). This would
mean if you build from latest commit as of this writing, it could be
called john-1.8-bleeding-jumbo-ef907c4. However, over time that hash
wont tell a "user" anything about sequential order. For example, another
release might be called john-1.8-bleeding-jumbo-154b96c but you can't
tell from the names which is newer.

So perhaps it's better to just name it by date, as in
"john-1.8-jumbo-20140914". If you chose this, please state what exact
commit was used in some README file in the archive.

That's just my two cents. Thanks!

magnum