Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:19:24 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK

On 2014-08-30 01:48, magnum wrote:
> On 2014-08-29 23:23, David wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Based on the info at:  http://openwall.info/wiki/john/WPA-PSK, I
>> downloaded wpa-induction.pcap, converted it using:
>>
>> $ ./wpapcap2john ~/Downloads/wpa-Induction.pcap >
>> ~/Downloads/wpa-Induction.crackme
>>
>> added “Induction” to my dictionary, and then ran:
>>
>> $ ./john --format:wpapsk ~/Downloads/wpa-Induction.crackme -w
>> password.lst
>> Loaded 1 password hash (wpapsk, WPA/WPA2 PSK [PBKDF2-SHA1 128/128 SSE2
>> 4x])
>> Note: minimum length forced to 8
>> Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
>> 0g 0:00:00:00 DONE (2014-08-29 17:18) 0g/s 1270p/s 1270c/s 1270C/s
>> morecats..newcourt
>> Session completed
>
> Thanks for reporting. I can reproduce, and the problem seems to be with
> OpenCL and CUDA versions too. And it's not just that particular test
> pcap. Very strange. We need to bisect.

A fix is committed (b46d6ed). This was a bad bug, we had false negatives
because wpapcap2john failed to parse some PCAP formats correctly due to
assumptions in length calculation (in this case the FCS was not
accounted for).

The current fix should be universal, although it disturbs me a lot it
contradicts some RFCs and I have yet to understand why. But all
regression tests so far show it's fine and Wireshark seems to agree.

magnum