Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:30:53 +0200 (CEST)
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: OpenVMS support?

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014, Mark Grace wrote:

> I've made a bit of progress on this.  I've installed the Bleeding
> Jumbo version which lists OpenVMS as a supported hash.  However, when
> running against my hash file (which, BTW, works fine on 1.7.8 with the
> OpenVMS patch applied) I get the "No password hashes loaded" error.
>
> Can anyone provide assistance?  Is the OpenVMS hash truly working in
> Bleeding Jumbo?

Use the latest bleeding-jumbo JtR from the following URL,

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper

$ ../run/john --test --format=openvms
Benchmarking: OpenVMS, Purdy [32/64]... DONE
Raw:	1065K c/s real, 1075K c/s virtual

Yes, it should be truly working ;)

> We're in the process of migrating from and OpenVMS system to AIX and
> we have a need to not change passwords.  Therefore I've been using JtR
> to retrieve the passwords.

Have you considered resetting passwords?

> 2 - Is 1.7.8 the newest version supported by the OpenVMS patch?  I
> have a 16 core box and would really love to use --fork which is not an
> option.

Latest JtR bleeding-jumbo (from the above URL) should fix this problem
too.

> 3 - Without --fork, aside from splitting the database file into
> multiple chunks, is there a way to run multiple instances?

JtR also supports OpenMP but try using "fork" first.

Dhiru