Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 17:49:06 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Help Compiling John on ARM w/ MPI & CUDA

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 10:27:49PM +0000, Pyrex wrote:
> I am attempting to compile John on ARM with MPI and CUDA support

What hardware do you have?

Does NVIDIA also support OpenCL on their ARM devices, like it does on x86?
We have more OpenCL than CUDA kernels in JtR bleeding-jumbo, and some of
them are better optimized than their CUDA counterparts (so are faster even
on NVIDIA devices).

> however, it doesn't even support the ARM architecture.

What version of JtR are you using?

For 1.8.0, there's john-1.8.0-arm.diff.gz here:

http://download.openwall.net/pub/projects/john/1.8.0/

It adds NEON support for DES-based hashes.  If you don't need that, then
"make generic" works fine (takes longer to build, though).

For CUDA/OpenCL, as well as to have support for many more hash and
cipher types, you need jumbo.  In current bleeding-jumbo, the ./configure
script should take care of everything, but there's also Makefile.legacy,
with which you may explicitly build as:

make -f Makefile.legacy linux-arm32le-neon

or:

make -f Makefile.legacy linux-arm32le

These "legacy" builds won't try to enable CUDA.  For that, just use
./configure and it _might_ detect your CUDA even on ARM (I think we've
never tested that combination so far).

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/tarball/bleeding-jumbo

> I was able to compile it using "generic" as my compile option "make generic" and I was also able to get MPI working by editing the Makefile and commenting the MPI references.

Are you building a cluster of many ARM boards?

> I cannot get CUDA working.... I tried copy / pasting some of the extra flags I saw in the other compile options but I came up with nothing that works... Would anyone be able to help me? I would very much appreciate it!

First, please try bleeding-jumbo.  It sounds like you're experimenting
with an older version now.  Then please report your results for
bleeding-jumbo in here, including some specifics - e.g., the portion of
./configure script output where it probes for CUDA, or whatever else you
find relevant.  (And as I have mentioned, it is actually more important
to get OpenCL going.)

Thanks,

Alexander