Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 12:48:43 +0200
From: jvoisin <julien.voisin@...tri.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: team write-up for PHDays Hash Runner 2014

Hello everyone,

Since Aleksey Cherepanov asked me do a write-up about my participation
to PHDays Hash Runner 2014, here it is.

It was my first hash-cracking contest, and quite a new experience for a
sedate person like me, since I'm not used to have deadlines for this
kind of task.

I was quite impressed by the number of available scripts to manage
results, but I quickly felt overwhelmed by the number of hash to crack,
and didn't managed the communicate efficiently with the rest of the
team. I ended up adding my machines to the grid, and focusing on
searching for patterns and creating thematic wordlists.

I used 8 (relatively powerful) CPU cores.

Regards,

jvoisin