Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 17:44:30 -0700
From: Dennis Glatting <jtr@...2.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Possible bug in zip_fmt_plug.c, bleeding edge

On Thu, 2014-07-03 at 02:19 +0200, magnum wrote:
> On 2014-07-03 01:07, Dennis Glatting wrote:
> > Prior to running my word list against my hash, JTR runs test code using
> > the data structure "zip_tests". Zip_tests by virtua of the get_salt()
> > function sets the global variable "passverify" however that variable IS
> > NOT reset to the check word of my hash (b59a). Consequently, I am unable
> > to verify my hash against my word list.
>
> Thanks for reporting this. The passverify stuff is indeed totally b0rken
> and from the looks of it, it has never worked. I opened an issue on
> GitHub, hopefully Dhiru will fix it soon.

BTW, the OpenCL version of the code works however not having a CPU
version is limiting.

> In the meantime I believe you can run it with --skip-self-tests to work
> around this problem as long as you only attack one hash at a time. The
> format has other problems though: For example, it emits 40 false
> positives per minute...

Finding a UNIX verification tool was a challenge, at least under
FreeBSD. I eventually went with 7z and scripted the password candidates.
However, scripting some of the candidates with special characters was an
additional challenge and in those cases my (ugly) PERL script created a
C++ file and fork()ed 7z.