Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 20:36:43 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question about GPU and CPU.

On 2014-07-01 04:54, Richard Miles wrote:
>> I do not own a 290X
>
> Interesting. Is there any chance for you show me a benchmark of your R9
> 290X?

What answer do you expect here?

> One thing that called my attention is that hashcat do not make my GPU
> cooler get very noise as with od6config. A bit weird, not?

No. Hashcat does not default to maximum performance. Read the docs.

> I installed everything as described here:
> (...)
> Updating Environment variables...
> 32-bit path is :/opt/AMDAPP/lib/x86
> 64-bit path is :/opt/AMDAPP/lib/x86_64
> Environment variables updated successfully
> AMD APPSDK v2.9 installation  Completed
>>> Reboot required to reflect the changes

Did you reboot at this point?

>> It read /test.txt and hashes.txt as two hash files. It must have found 108
>> valid hashes in /test.txt. This indicates you have a wordlist of poor
>> quality but that is another issue.
>
> Interesting. Is there an option on JtR to display the hashes found and
> loaded? Since the wordlist is big it may help to identify what is being
> detected as hashes on my poor wordist.

Please read the docs, we can't hold your hands forever. If you find
anything in the docs that doesn't work and you get stuck, ask here.
Before that point, you should read docs and try things rather than post
here. Your gear won't explode if you experiment a little!

magnum