Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 04:32:11 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Many Problem's + Many Try's and no Soultion

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 12:23:14AM +0000, wyss-adrian@...onet.ch wrote:
> yes, i do allways reply,

No, as far as I'm aware most of your messages are not technically
"replies".  Just take a look:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2014/04/28/3

You've just started yet another new thread here. :-(

Yet somehow some of your older messages were replies, so you were able
to do this correctly.

Also, can you please configure your mail client to use the traditional
Re: instead of the Aw:?  Otherwise we may end up having lots of Aw/Re
intermixed in Subject lines, if people don't remove the extra Aw: when
replying to your postings.

> butt i delete the message inside the mail

This does not affect threading, but it'd be better if you use inline
quoting:

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/mail-news-errors.html

> the f % w was the first ones in the password
> butt maybe not in this order
>
> yes, if there is a } there will no other []{
> butt i dont know witch one

OK.  That's extremely helpful.

> i cant reset the password because root is
> autoscramblet (disabled) by default

This doesn't make sense.  You can just go ahead and reset the password.

> in the post one year ago
> i want to post the password
> butt the mailing list delete anything after f&w

Normally, messages don't get truncated.  There must have been something
weird about the way you sent yours.

> should i now use 1.7.9 or 1.8?
> meaning about the option fork

This is the least of your worries.  First, you probably don't need to be
cracking that password.  If you insist on cracking it, you need to focus
on reducing the keyspace, by communicating all of the info you have to
JtR, such as by means of a more complicated external mode.  And if that's
still not enough, then run the attack using bleeding-jumbo on GPUs.

Alexander