Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 16:20:38 +0200
From: Adriano Di Luzio <adrianodl9992@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: EXTRA characters.

Hi,
I’m using JtR to crack for an academic project some old Unix password hashes. I created my custom charset (lower alpha and numbers), and I was wondering about Extra characters in config.
From the docs:
This can be used to make John try some extra characters that don't appear in the charset file. Just list all those characters here and they will be added, but considered the least probable.
What does "least probable" means? How does it affect interactive mode? Is it better to create a custom charset having the special symbol I need, or using the “Extra” section?

Greetings,
ADL