Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 19:00:54 +0000 (UTC)
From: -.-PhanTom-.- <phantom@...uribox.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New tutorial (how to build in Win64)

 <jfoug@...> writes:

> ---- "-.-PhanTom-.-" <phantom@...> wrote:
> >
> > However, the "make -j4 win64-cygwin-x86-64" caused the compile to fail. (see
> > below)
>
> You will want to run the john.exe built here.  It is faster than generic,
often times MUCH faster.  But for a few
> formats, the generic may actually be faster (some DES hashes may be faster
here).

> > I then tried a "make generic" and that compiled without errors, however if I
> > try to run john.exe in a windows command prompt, I get an errors message
> > about "cygcrypto-1.0.0.dll" is missing.... where do i get that?
> > Also, if I try to run john.exe in a cygwin terminal window, nothing happens.
>
> if you are in the run directory (cygwin bash shell), and type  ./john
nothing happens?   I would think at least
> you should get the usage instructions of john.
>
> Jim.

I know the sepcific builds are preferred, but as previously described, I am
missing the dll-s after compiling, so can't run any version of john.exe.

in cygwin bash shell, when trying that commend I just get:

$ ./john
-bash: ./john: No such file or directory