Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 10:46:52 -0800
From: Jeff Keller <jakeller@...r.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Need assistance with encrypted Time Machine sparsebundle

Keller wrote:

>> Hello all- while switching to a new computer I
discovered that my Time Machine backup (stored on my NAS) was encrypted.
Unfortunately, by the time I'd realized this, I'd already zeroed-out the
drives on my old computer, so I couldn't go back and see what the
password was. I now have a 550GB sparsebundle sitting on the NAS that I
cannot open, because I have no idea what the password is (it's nothing I
normally use - I imagine the 'hint' i cannot see would've helped). I
purchased John Pro for the Mac and cannot figure out how to get the hash
from the dmg file and then how to start trying to find the password. I
consider myself very computer-saavy but this one's a bit much for me. If
anyone has advice on how to get started, I would greatly appreciate
it!

> JtR Pro can't crack a dmg afaik. You need to build from
bleeding-edge
> source available at GitHub.
>
> magnum

Huh, from
reading
this:
http://blog.whitehatsec.com/cracking-aes-256-dmgs-and-epic-self-pwnage/

I was under the impression that the "off the shelf" version of JtR
could do it. I did reach out to the guys mentioned in the article
(Stricture) but haven't heard back yet. This is sort of the digital
version of your house burning down! Hope someone can help out.

Jeff

---
Jeff Keller
Senior Writer, dpreview.com