Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 13:52:30 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JTR output?

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:43 PM, C GPS <nro117gm@...il.com> wrote:
> and... it is correct that I set the password long ago and can't remember
> what it was. I have an idea of several that it might be but so far none of
> them has worked. It could be a combination of a couple of them.  If so I
> guess I would have to ask how to input those "likely" guesses or
> combinations into the default wordlist for JTR so that it could try those
> along with whatever other wordlists it uses...
First, and just FYI, your current emails "Top Post". It makes it
harder to read the thread outside of an email client, we like "inline"

Yes the hash you have is "hard" to calculate, meaning slow :) I would
make a txt file with whatever words or combinations of words you can
remember. Then try using different rules on them. This could give you
better results than using wordlists of other peoples passwords, but if
you suspect your password could be one that someone else might have
had or close to it, try those lists. Rockyou.txt is a great collection
and you can find it all over, look at Skull Security when you search
for it.
./john pass.txt -w=my_words.txt -rules=jumbo (if you have the latest
jumbo version)
Where pass.txt is you hash, and my_words.txt is the words or
combinations you think it could be. John will not mix and match the
words for you, I believe there are scripts that can, but you could
sort of do it by hand as well if you only have a few you think it
could be. JtR will only work on one word at a time in the list, so if
it could be two of the words in the list, you should put them together
on a line.
password
notagood
notagoodpassword <---