Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 16:12:46 -0800
From: C GPS <nro117gm@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to use Wordlists with John The Ripper

It's now running.

NRO117:~ L7$ cd magnumripper
NRO117:magnumripper L7$ ./run/john sha512.txt
Loaded 1 password hash (PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA512, GRUB2 / OS X 10.8+
[PBKDF2-SHA512 128/128 SSE4.1 2x])
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
0g 0:00:00:31 0.90% 2/3 (ETA: 17:02:03) 0g/s 57.44p/s 57.44c/s 57.44C/s
summit..sunfire

Back to my original question:  I assume that JTR is using built in
wordlists.  Is it helpful for me to supply additional wordlists? If so -
will they work in conjunction with the built in wordlists?

I have downloaded the paid version of wordlists from openwall.com which
supplies a folder containing:
all.lst
languages (folder)
mangled.lst
passwords (folder)
pub (folder)
and of course the README and LICENSE txt files

If I can now determine the command line needed to utilize these I'm unsure
which file within the folder to load.  I have read the options in order to
make an attempt at loading a wordlist but it does not specify which file to
open or what all of these other files are.

Again: Yes, I'm green but if it helps I am learning fast. Almost afraid to
ask the above question.

Thanks again! Infinitely