Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 15:16:44 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: jtr newbie: getting no hashes loaded message

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Donald Raikes <evhadu@...look.com> wrote:
> Here is a few sample records from my password file:

These seem to be from the Yahoo plain-text leak d33ds.co.uk (it's not
there anymore)
http://dazzlepod.com/yahoo/
I changed the format to salted-sha1 (which i gather is more dynamic
and just sha1)
ShortChic74@...oo.com:{SSHA}1Z4bNpdfcvLRW/+7Ui8zlTY277Srrqx0mlYDhKM6nXU=
mirda@...l.uajy.ac.id:{SSHA}EcI+TkFngD3IOrBKtr8Xue9g7jyVfT36l0FE4TG8YXs=
Hayley_06jf@...oo.com:{SSHA}kMZi6QrVD0EU/MWi8+qCc4wltku3FsuBGzIIFvfd16A=
mjharleygirl83@....com:{SSHA}W/IpOmCIyFrCPLyCoHS3bAXOzcf65Crvm43cOq0J/Og=

john sha256.txt -w=yahoo.txt
Loaded 4 password hashes with 4 different salts (Salted-SHA1 [SHA1 32/32])
But the passwords don't crack using the Yahoo list :( I can be
mistaken on this too, but I read once that ssha (salted-sha1) would
try more than sha1... I could be wrong, and I often am.

> When I ran your script, I got an error, and unfortunately, I am not a python expert by any stretch:
It's not mine i got it from that thread I linked to earlier... I don't
have any idea about py myself :)
> Any suggestions on how to fix the script/data would be appreciated.
i used an online B64->hex page to create other lines like:
ShortChic74@...oo.com:5bf2293a6088c85ac23cbc82a074b76c05cecdc7fae42aef9b8ddc3aad09fce8
mirda@...l.uajy.ac.id:90c662e90ad50f4114fcc5a2f3ea82738c25b64bb716cb811b320816f7ddd7a0
Hayley_06jf@...oo.com:11c23e4e4167803dc83ab04ab6bf17b9ef60ee3c957d3dfa974144e131bc617b
mjharleygirl83@....com:d59e1b36975f72f2d15bffbb522f33953636efb4abaeac749a560384a33a9d75

It loads as raw-sha256 but I don't think that format is salted. I'm at
a loss when it comes to the salted formats really, but I'm trying to
learn, maybe someone can chime in or elaborate on $dynamic_62$ format?

i think we need to separate the salt from base64 or have that
(dynamic_6x)format brute force the salt too? I'm not sure really,
looking at the source code for "dynamic_preloads.c" to figure out the
formats. I've tried all the dynamic_6x against the "decoded" strings
and it doesn't appear the passwords are from that yahoo dump or again
I've not got the format right yet.

Anyone else have any ideas?
-rich