Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 16:59:35 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Is ASIC supported?

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Richard Miles
<richard.k.miles@...glemail.com> wrote:
> https://products.butterflylabs.com/homepage-new-products/300-gh-bitcoin-mining-card.html
BTC (miners) can't crack traditional SHA256, the "difficulty" of the
hash is ever increasing, BTC miners cannot crack passwords, as
hardware gets faster, BTC has to adapt and make it even harder to mine
so that we don't exhaust all the coins. We could have done so by now
if the difficulty of the algo hadn't increased since it first came
into being.
> http://www.blackarrowsoftware.com/store/prospero-x-1.html
>
> So my questions is, is ASIC supported with JtR? If not, are any plans for
> it?
ASIC is not a CPU/GPU, it's a program written in silicone... You'd
have to have john converted to silicon, ASIC's are single purpose.
FPGA would be "do-able", ASIC would be sooo f*cking metal though...

The EFF's Deep Crack was ASIC I think
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFF_DES_cracker
-rich