Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:16:33 -0600
From: Richard Miles <richard.k.miles@...glemail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Questions and suggestions to build a home cracking
 box. :)

Hi All-

First of all, I want to thanks everybody, the answers were amazing and very
helpful. Thank you so much guys!!! You rock!

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

> On 2013-11-22 18:24, Richard Miles wrote:
>
>> I know mask mode very briefly, to say the true I know it exist because of
>> hashcat, but I don't understand it very well. I found this post and I
>> guess
>> it's related:
>>
>> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/06/15/1
>>

> Come on man, try harder. It's not that hard. Quoting that mail:

I will try, I promise. :)

>  $ ./john --mask='?u?l[ab]?d??' --stdout | head -3
>> Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
>> Aaa0?
>> Aaa1?
>> Aaa2?
>>

> The mask, separated by position, is ?u ?l [ab] ?d ??
>
> First position is ?u == upper-case A-Z
>
> Second position is ?l == lower-case a-z
>
> Third position is [ab] == 'a' or 'b' (not supported by HC afaik)

> Fourth position is ?d == digit 0-9
>
> Fifth position is actually a static '?' but since the mask tokens begin
> with a question mark, a literal one is escaped as '??'.

Interesting. But where can I find a list of all these "meneumonics"? I see
that some parts looks like regular expression as [ab], but the others for
sure must have a kind of map with description about what they mean, right?

> So how many candidates will this generate?
>
> 26 * 26 * 2 * 10 * 1
>
> That's 13520 candidates. Not a lot: It will keep a GPU happy for just
> about one millisecond.

Wow! That's great.

But how the GPU will know where to "insert" the word from my wordlist?

For example, what syntax may I use to say that my word (obtained from
wordlist) will be prepend or append by this?

Is there a "menumonic" to represent the "word" from wordlist? For example:

--mask='?u?l[ab]?{w}?d??'

Resulting in:

AaaMyWord0?
AaaMyWord1?
AaaMyWord2?

Also, is it possible to do more powerful mutation? For example, replace
just the first occurrence of e with 3? replace only the second occurrence
of e with 3?  and so on until replace all occurrences of e with 3?

This will be very helpful and give some power similar to what we have today
with rules :)

>  Where can I find a good documentation explaining how mask mode works,
>> advances in comparison with other modes, etc?
>>

> I urge you to get familiar with this from a user perspective and then
> write that documentation, on our wiki. Yes, you too can contribute!
>
> http://openwall.info/wiki/john
>
> Seriously, just create an account and go ahead.

I was not aware, thanks for suggestion, I really appreciated it and agree.
If someone point some material and answer my questions it will help a lot,
but anyway I will research about it and write.

Thanks.

Best regards.