Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 07:46:40 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Questions and suggestions to build a home cracking box. :)

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 08:07:15AM -0600, Richard Miles wrote:
> I will be cracking basically 95% of the time the following hashes:NTLMv2,
> netntlm, netntlmv2, MySQL (local hashes and network), MSSQL (local hashes
> and network), lotus, mscash and mscash2.

Out of these, when using JtR you'd currently crack all but mscash2 on
CPU.  mscash2 is slow enough to be efficient on GPU with current JtR
code (and it's actually on par with hashcat on GPU).  The rest are way
too fast, so without on-GPU candidate password generation (which we
mostly don't have, with the exception below) there's no speedup from
using a GPU.

As an exception Sayantan's bleeding-mask branch includes mask mode
support on GPU for some fast hashes.  If you like, you may experiment
with this.  It'd achieve reasonable GPU speeds for a few fast hash
types, but in mask mode only.

Alexander