Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 14:41:05 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: {crypt} unsupported

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 08:44:21PM +0200, Yazar Oku wrote:
> After removing the {crypt} part, John managed to detect the method (The {SSHA} is automatically detected, so I didn't remove it). I have kept the "username@...ain" parts as the reporting is important. I have also separated the two hash types on different files so that John can deal with each of them. Now, two John instances are running.

This is fine.  As an alternative, you could have kept both hash types in
one file and used the --format=... option to have the two instances of
John attack the different hash types.

> With the help of "OMP_NUM_THREADS" I am able to benefit from the multiple cores but only when dealing with {crypt} hashes. When dealing with {SSHA}, htop shows only a single core reaching 100%. The rest of the cores are sitting idle.

You may want to download a bleeding-jumbo tarball from:

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/tarball/bleeding-jumbo

build JtR from it, and use it with the --fork=N option (where N is the
number of logical CPUs in your system).

Alexander