Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 13:50:09 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Passwords come out in uppercase

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Dane Ruyle <dane_ruyle@...mail.com> wrote:
> Got it.  Thanks!
> Last thing, I need to get this done fast, have a maintenance window coming up (long story).I see there is a way to make  the exe use more than one core by specifying --node and --fork but suspect that is not windows.
There are different ways to distribute the work, and some methods are
better than others. For example using OMP build on NTLM is of little
benefit as far as speed goes(I think), but using fork and node can
help you distribute more of the work to other hosts that will
effectively give you "parallel computing".
Here are some pre-build Community Builds that may help you:
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/custom-builds
You can also compile Jumbo using Cygwin to create the OMP and Fork
versions, but I think the john-1.7.9-jumbo-7-Win-32.zip (32-bit) build
contains everything you need. Some hashes are faster using OMP others
aren't: http://openwall.info/wiki/john/parallelization
Overall using a wordlist and incemental modes are the most effective:
http://www.openwall.com/wordlists/
-rich