Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 17:42:41 -0600
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: How best to compute this via john

On 8 October 2013 16:52, Kevin Young <kevin.p.young@...il.com> wrote:

> Hey Stephen,
>
> Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
>
> Sentence as it is
> Sentence lowercased
> Sentence no punctuation/lowercased
> First 2 words of sentence
> First 3 words of sentence
>
> When we pull them the first thing we do is strip out all punctuation. It's
> faster and easier to add the variations later.
>
> Same goes for case. Easier to ucase later. And, statistically, we found
> that very few people use proper case. Again, based on stats, people seldom
> use the space char.
>
> We also parse on 2, 3, 4, etc. and sort it by character count. 8 char
> phrases, 9 char, etc, all the way up to 30 char. The success rate rolls off
> steeply beyond phrases 15 chars in length.
>
> We haven't done much with most probable as the results are still so widely
> distributed. We don't see anything like admin, password1, guest, letmein,
> changeme, etc.
>
> Thoughts?

My guess is that the size of the needed hashes would have to be much much
larger to start figuring out what areas are higher. Human nature though
would say that first sentences in first paragraph in first chapters are
probably high. Then first lines of poems and then first lines of
soliloquies

--
Stephen J Smoogen.