Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 13:43:30 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How best to compute this via john

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>wrote:

> http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/how-the-bible-and-youtube-are-fueling-the-next-frontier-of-password-cracking/2/
>
> Someone, not me, needs to create a parser for IMDB,
http://imdbpy.sourceforge.net/ I've not been able to make use of that yet.
You can mirror IMDB's text database's http://www.imdb.com/interfaces by
visiting those FTP links.
I've long used the Free-CDDB database, full of perfect phrases and pop
culture. My perl scripts for extracting the data from it (free-cddb) are
not so good, but the list I've made has been useful nonetheless.
Movie titles, song names, artist's, famous quotes are all good places to
start. What end's up happening however, and this is where more needs to be
done, is that you get a ton of phrases to use, but no ranking or knowledge
of what is more likely to work. That's what is needed to be more effective
at cracking pass phrases, some ranking system or the like. See how many
google results come back for a pharse or something? Or a bandname/artist
name? Might help weed out some phrases that won't come up.

As far as mangling rules, you'd need to insert spaces, remove spaces, add
space and cap the next letter after the space, remove the space and cap the
letter after the removed space. Remove all but the first letter after each
space "ask not what you can do for you're country" = anwycdfyc
Stuff like that too :)
-rich