Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 08:39:51 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JTR Bleeding Edge cannot compile in cygwin 32bit
 with krb5-18_fmt.c error

If you are indeed using bleeding-jumbo, then why change CHARSET_LENGTH? Is
24 not enough? Or did you check out the unstable-jumbo branch?

> Anyway I'm not sure how to get krb5-18 working for you but in case you
> don't need it you can try disabling it. Comment out the two following lines
> in Makefile:
>
> HAVE_KRB5 = `find 2>&1 /usr/include/ /usr/local/include/ -name "krb5.h" |
> grep -q "krb5.h" && echo -DHAVE_KRB5`
> KRB5_LDFLAGS = `find 2>&1 /usr/include/ /usr/local/include/ -name "krb5.h"
> | grep -q "krb5.h" && echo -lk5crypto -lkrb5`

This is an issue I've had for a few versions, I just comment it out. The
krb5 that is made for Cygwin doesn't seem to be what John wants or maybe
incompatible. I've not tried compiling a source version and using that, but
it may work as that method has in the past for me on other projects. It
(krb5) fails for me without changing anything in JtR if I recall correctly.
-rich