Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 00:19:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Jose L. Romero" <veract_1999@...oo.com>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: hccap2john  and wpapcap2john don't seem to work con john 1.8.0 and other issues

Hi,

A little background, I am using kaliLinux on both an athlon 64 x2 and an Intel atom laptops (in both cases using a usb boot with persistence). for some reason kali´s john application does not work properly so I installed john 1.8.0 on root using /src# make clean linux-x86-ss2

I just recently started using aircrack and currently am trying to crack my own wpapsk password (is the factory password, with 10 random characters). Already have the cap file with the 4 way handshake, however, once I try to convert it to john format I get the following:

root@...i:~/john-1.8.0/run# $wpapcap2john arch.cap > crackfile
 bash: arch.cap: command not found

´´where arch.cap is the aircrack output file with the 4 way handshake

Same thing happens with the hccap2john tool  after converting the file with hashcat

If I enter the command without any options, the command line just reappears without any message

Can someone explain me how to fix this problem?

On the other hand I found in the internet this shortcut using john to directly inject the passwords into aircrack

john --stdout --incremental:all | aircrack-ng -b f8:01:13:5b:77:70 -w - arch.cap

the problem is that in my compunter incremental mode only accepts all, alnum and digits as the only modes (For some reason does not allow lowernum or uppernum). Also, this command starts injecting 8 characters passwords into aircrack, and if I modify the john.conf file to start running at a minimum of 10 characters it starts again at 8 (modified the [incremental:alnum] and [list.external:filter_alnum]).

Honestly I would prefer to be able to use john only to crack the password as using it along with aircrack seems very computer intensive, but any suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks

Jose