Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 06:06:32 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bf in 1.7 is bcrypt in 1.8

2013/7/25 Brad Tilley <rbt@....us>:
> Is it true to say that the 1.7 format 'bf' is equivalent to 1.8 'bcrypt'? If so, why the name change?

Yes it is, we wanted to clean up things, bf might be considered as
"blowfish" which might be confusing.
Besides bcrypt is the proper name for it.

Text below is from 1.8 release notes:

* Renamed many of the formats.

John the Ripper 1.8.0's valid format names are descrypt, bsdicrypt,
md5crypt, bcrypt, LM, AFS, tripcode, dummy, and crypt (and many more are
added in jumbo).  We no longer misuse just "des" or just "md5" to refer
to the crypt(3) flavors; this made some sense in 1990s, before raw MD5
started to be misused for password hashing in web apps.  However, with
today's (still) widespread use of raw MD5 in web apps (and especially in
leaked password hash dumps) our use of "md5" to refer to md5crypt was
causing confusion.

Lukas