Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:02:38 -0700
From: Howard Chu <hyc@...hlandsun.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: HMAC MD5, maybe?

I've got a data file (stored as an SQLite database) where a number of rows are
protected by a hash. I'd like suggestions on how to configure JtR to discover
the missing inputs to the hash. E.g., here's a (dummy) table definition:

CREATE TABLE `my_table` (`target_id` VARCHAR , `object_id` VARCHAR , `number`
INTEGER , `my_table_id` INTEGER , `hash` VARCHAR , PRIMARY KEY (`my_table_id`) );

and a couple (fake) rows
INSERT INTO "my_table"
VALUES('thing1','attr1',2,1,'d82a4b9ee2bd0842f7a83da4afcad550');
INSERT INTO "my_table"
VALUES('thing1','attr2',2,2,'2cf891faea7180a2f89f8fc4198de7de');

I'm assuming the hash was generated based on the other columns of the table,
but I don't know in what format (e.g., are the integers converted to strings
first, or are they hashed as 32 bint binary values), what order the fields are
summed, and what delimiters might be in use. I don't know if the table name is
part of the hash. I don't know if some secret seed is prepended or appended to
the plaintext.

How would you suggest tackling this?

Thanks for any advice.
   -- Howard