Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 08:35:46 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: defining world mangling rules for passwords
 following certain restrictions

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM, spikomino <spikomino@...il.com> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Ii am having troubles defining the JTR rules to handle passwords that
> follow certain restrictions.
>
> The passwords must follow this restrictions:
>
> - must be between 8 characters and 16 characters
> - includes at least 1 numeric character (0-9)
> - includes at least 1 uppercase alphabetic character (A - Z)
> - includes at least 1 lowercase alphabetic character (a - z)
> - includes at least 2 special characters, except ( ) % > " '
> - should not includes 2 identical consecutive characters

John has a filter that can be applied, there are a few examples in the
config files
john --external=policy
It would have to be modified a bit to suit your needs I think, but it's
pretty close already.

There can also be a rule like
-c >7 %1?x %2?s
Case sensitive hash, greater than 7, reject word unless it contains 1 of
a-zA-Z0-9, reject work if unless it contains 2 special characters
(including ()%>"' ) I have no idea about the identical characters or if you
should add exclusions for those 6 characters listed. Also don't know how to
use a rule to look for repeated characters next to each other, this
wordlist would be sooooo small.

The trouble is, most wordlists need to be mangled to fit such a policy
rather than rejected if the words don't fit the policy. You probably need
to work on a filter for incremental mode that will more quickly get the
passwords generated rather than filtering out wordlist's that will most
likely not have a significant about of words that fit the policy.
-rich