Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 16:21:53 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Adding more "Nodes" to MPI Session

On 6 Jun, 2013, at 15:32 , Marc Brinkmann <marc.brinkmann@...il.com> wrote:
> i just stopped my john-session that was running for about 130 days on MPI
> (4 cores) to breack an office2010 password.
>
> i upgraded the VM from 4 to 6 vCPUs
> is there a way to restore my session using all 6 cores?
> because now there is no john.4.rec and no john.5.rec :(
> And it would be sad, to start from scratch.

In general, no. You should have used OMP instead of MPI. It would do more or less the same speed (in this case) but with OMP you can change number of threads when restoring jobs.

There is a way to resume MPI and *double* the number of cores though, using OMP together with MPI: If you go eg. from 4 to 8 CPUs, you can resume the old job after setting "MPIOMPmutex = N" in john.conf and start the job like this:

mpirun -x OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 -np 4 ./john -resume:name

magnum