Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 22:28:11 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Problems using -opencl formats with bleeding-jumbo build

On 2 Jun, 2013, at 22:17 , Martin <martin@...turestogether.com> wrote:
> I am trying to see if using OpenCL will improve performance on my MacBook Pro.
>
> I build using the .macosx-x86-64-opencl target and I was initially getting a hard system hang, had to power down the laptop using the power button.
>
> Well, it's not hanging at this point.  Not sure exactly why.  It could be a conflict with something else that was running or maybe because I installed gfxCardStatus (http://gfx.io/) based on the discussion on issue 50 (https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/50).

I now recall I had similar problems (that were worked-around with gfxCardStatus) but they went away with some OS update (I have a MB with nvidia GT 650). Are you running latest & greatest stuff from Apple?

> As you can see, it was able to test OpenCL for 5 of the formats (ssha-opencl, nt-opencl, phpass-opencl, raw-sha512-opencl and xsha512-opencl), but not the rest.  So it looks to me like OpenCL is working, but something appears to be missing for specific formats.

The "header file not found" error is an Apple bug, described in doc/BUGS:
"OS X also has a problem with run-time compile of kernels that include
header files. A workaround is to cd to the src directory and run each
OpenCL format once. After that, the kernel binary is cached so you can
move away from the src directory."

Please also note that you can say "john -test -format=opencl" to test all OpenCL formats at once! OTOH, the for loop you used sometimes works better, especially if one format crashes.

magnum