Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 12:45:28 -0400
From: James Ross <jimrone@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Bleeding-jumbo extensions help. Ubuntu 12.4 Linux on Oracle VM

I'm looking for help in running the extension to bleeding-jumbo that allows
john to crack bitcoin wallet.dat files. Ran into a series of errors earlier
but Dhiru Kholia (dhiru@...nwall.com) had been extremely helpful in working
through those and most recently we both have been stumped. included is the
conversation log:

Input:
✗ ../run/john --format=bitcoin -t

Basically the error is the reponse:

$ Unkown ciphertext format name requested

Instead of:

$ Benchmarking: bitcoin, bitcoin (iterative SHA-256 + AES-256) [32/64]...
DONE
$ Raw:    11.9 c/s real, 12.0 c/s virtual

below is the process of successful used commands Dhiru helped with

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM, James Ross <jimrone@...il.com> wrote:
> Got "Unkown ciphertext format name requested"

$ git clone https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/

$ cd JohnTheRipper

$ git checkout bleeding-jumbo # this is super important

# build JtR as usual.