Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 20:22:48 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to limit the number of guesses?

On 28 May, 2013, at 20:05 , Rafael Veras <rafaveguim@...il.com> wrote:
> In one of my experiments I'm comparing a custom cracker with john running
> in the "default order of cracking modes".
>
> However, AutoStatus (externals, in general) seems to work only on wordlist
> mode.

There are external modes and external filters. External filters (like AutoStatus or Solar's suggested Status50G) can be used with any cracking mode. What did you try that did not work?

> So right now, I'm enabling CrackStatus and StatusShowCandidates, and doing
> some parsing to get the same info that AutoStatus provides (in my case, #
> of hits per million guesses).

If you use bleeding-jumbo (soon to be 1.8-Jumbo-1), you'll get better info from CrackStatus and StatusShowCandidates than from any released Jumbo. Bleeding will report number of guesses as opposed to number of combinations.

Beta-quality snapshot tarball here:
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/tarball/bleeding-jumbo

magnum