Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 10:13:20 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [dhiru] write up for Hash Runner 2013

Hi,

First of all, I would like to congratulate team members for performing
so well :-)

Unfortunately, I was busy with some office work and could not contribute
much.

I only tried cracking md5-broken and SHA3-256 hashes (using rockyou list
with KoreLogic rules) with limited success.

I was able to write (and commit) a format for cracking SHA3-256 hashes
in a short time (10 minutes). I think this is only contribution I made
this time. I also wrote a format for cracking md5-broken hashes but I
don't believe it was used much.

I liked the idea of thematic hashes as it (hopefully) prevented the
"abuse" of excessive hardware power. Overall, the competition was fun.

I hope that the other teams will begin appreciating the JtR community
and the "aging" code base a bit ;).

Hardware: i7-3520M Laptop.

Time Spent: < 2 hours

I am waiting for CMIYC 2013 now (I love the file challenges they
have!). Lets win that one too!

--
Dhiru