Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 12:42:44 -0600
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: How to limit the number of guesses?

On 20 May 2013 12:29, Rafael Veras <rafaveguim@...il.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to limit the number of guesses tried by JtR?
>
> I need to compare the efficiency of two wordlists (# of hits) given a fixed
> # of trials.

Are you applying rules? Too little information about what you are meaning
by limiting of guesses, etc.

Normally if I am testing the efficiency of two wordlists, I just test the
wordlists against a bunch of hashes. THat makes it one guess per word per
 password hash. If I am testing a bunch of rules I run the rules against a
single word dictionary and then pull out any compound rules (say
Az"[a-z][A-Z]") each as a seperate rule and make each rule a ruleset. Then
you test each ruleset and dictionary 1:1

--
Stephen J Smoogen.