Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 21:09:09 -0600
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Charset filters and options

On 25 April 2013 20:04, Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com> wrote:
>  that A-Z were used in
>
> Also shouldn't Alpha be 27 and Alnum 37 for 0x32? I see the filters don't
> have space in them, so i understand why they aren't, never noticed
> before...

I have a bad headache so I am not following with why space would be there?

alpha is a-z which is 26 characters. alnum is a-z0-9 which is 36
characters. Looking over various password files 80% of passwords out there
are caught by alpha and 90+% are caught with alnum. They are made small to
make them quicker to catch stuff that would take longer. I end up making a
Upper/Lower/Number case which is 62 characters by doing a bunch of special
greps on say rockyou like the following:

grep '^[A-Za-z0-9]*$' rockyou.txt | awk '{print "unknown_hash:"$0}' >
x62char.pot

then do a john --make-charset from that. I may tailor the grep down a bit
more depending on what I am hopign to catch first. If I know that the rules
required 1 upper, 1 number, lowercase, I do something like:

grep '^[A-Z][a-zA-Z0-9]*[0-9]$' dictionary |... because the majority of
passwords following this rule start with an uppercase and end with a number
and might have A-Z or 0-9 inside but not likely. In any case the larger the
charset the longer it takes to traverse the set. If you have 10 character
passwords you might be able to get a full a-z search within the lifetime of
your machine warranty, but by the time you have added A-Za-z0-9 you might
take centuries to exhaust the range.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.