Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 00:46:12 +0200
From: Sandra Schlichting <littlesandra88@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: What am I doing wrong?

>> Incremental can be resumed, wordlists also, external modes as far as I
> know can't, but I wrote one that may help you if you truly think it's
> A-Za-z and "-" only.
> There are french wordlists out there to be tried, I'd
> use something like the following:
> http://contest-2010.korelogic.com/wordlists.html
> http://www.skullsecurity.org/wiki/index.php/Passwords
> ./john -format=raw-md5 /tmp/hashes -w=french_wordlist.txt -rules=jumbo
> -session=wordlist_1
> To resume (if it had to be stopped)
> ./john -resume=wordlist_1

That's just what I needed =)

Would it be possible to exit after it have tried the word list, so I
that way can first try all the word lists before going with either
Marcow or Incremental?

>> Depends on the algorithm, slower hash types will use MPI for parallel
> processing, raw-md5 is still single threaded in JtR, it's very fast,
> perhaps a GPU is faster, I'm not sure about that.

Once I feel confident in the CPU method, I will definitely try that!

> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/parallelization You can run other instances
> of john at the same time to use more than one CPU and try other modes, just
> remember to use -session=some_name for each in case you want to resume
> them. They are not aware of each other, and don't check the pot file to see
> if it was cracked, so if one session cracks the last password, the others
> will keep going.

Very useful to know! Thanks.

> Here is the external module, run it like so: ./john -format=raw-md5
> -session=ext_az-dash -external=DF-alpha-minus
> Copy this to the bottom of your john.conf file (you can name it what you
> want, the session name is only an example)
> This will try every combo of a-z A-Z and dash from 2 to 10 characters.

Thanks. This should make it a lot quicker =)