Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 22:40:59 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: What am I doing wrong?

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Noilson Caio <caiogore@...il.com> wrote:

> change your echo something like the merge between passwd and shadown
>
> like this:
>
> bash-4.2# echo "onu:c231df9a8f34cee959cbc6bcca4a9286:::::" > teste
> bash-4.2# echo "tdc:f5ba7db80ba2d7d7b650119d52fcd8d0:::::" >> teste
> bash-4.2# ./john  teste
> Loaded 4 password hashes with no different salts (LM DES [128/128 BS
> SSE2-16])

John tries to predict/determine what the hashes are, if it's not sure it
lets you know, if you know better than john, you should force it to the
format you know they are using --format=I_know_better... (md5, raw-md5
etc).

John thinks your hashes could be one of the following: (and defaulted to LM
which is likely wrong)
Warning: detected hash type "lm", but the string is also recognized as
"lotus5"
Use the "--format=lotus5" option to force loading these as that type instead
Warning: detected hash type "lm", but the string is also recognized as
"mscash"
Use the "--format=mscash" option to force loading these as that type instead
Warning: detected hash type "lm", but the string is also recognized as
"mscash2"
Use the "--format=mscash2" option to force loading these as that type
instead
Warning: detected hash type "lm", but the string is also recognized as
"raw-md4"
Use the "--format=raw-md4" option to force loading these as that type
instead
Warning: detected hash type "lm", but the string is also recognized as
"raw-md5"
Use the "--format=raw-md5" option to force loading these as that type
instead
Warning: detected hash type "lm", but the string is also recognized as
"raw-md5u"
Use the "--format=raw-md5u" option to force loading these as that type
instead
-rich