Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 23:14:13 +0100
From: buawig <buawig@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john kerberos feature wishlist (current state)

I'd like to summarize the current state of this feature wishlist:

> this would be my feature whishlist when it comes to john's support
> on kerberos matters (network only):
>
> - support for kerberos etype 1 (des-cbc-crc) and/or 3 (des-cbc-md5)
> (this is the most important feature request in this list, as I
> expect this to be *a lot* faster than etype 18 or etype 23)

AFAIK these etypes are not supported (yet). I assume this has mainly two
reasons:
1) low interest/priority due to the fact that Win 7 / Win Server 2008
does not enable these etypes by default
	(I think there are more legacy systems around then one might think
[4]. If you see alot of installations I'd like to get some "stats")
2) lack of downgrade attack tools that perform downgrade attacks to
these kind of etypes (assuming Dhiru Kholia's ettercap downgrades to
etype 23)
3) lack of pcap samples due to (2)

> - Currently john uses the PA_ENC_TIMESTAMP (from the client's
> AS-REQ) as cracking input, what if the client is not vulnerable to
> downgrade attacks but the server is? Can we use the server
> response to start cracking too?

I assume we can't?

> - john GPU support for kerberos etype 18

john (git) has GPU (OPENCL) support for kerberos etypes 17 and 18
(format name: krb5pa-sha1-opencl) including a python script to extract
the necessary strings from pcap files (supports etypes 17, 18 and 23)

tshark -r AD-capture-2.pcapng -T pdml  > ~/data.pdml
krbpa2john.py data.pdml
cracking speed on AMD HD 7970: ~100k c/s [1]

magnum mentioned his intentions [3] to implement krb5pa-md5-opencl.

for the record, non-GPU format names:
krb5pa-md5 (etype 23)
krb5pa-sha1 (etype 17 and 18)

> - a tool to pre-compute PBKDF2 etype 18 AES keys (preferable via
> GPU) - input: wordlist, john rules, salt, iteration count - output
> file which contains the AES keys for the given wordlist (with
> rules applied), salt and iteration count
>
> - john support to crack etype 18 with precomputed AES keys
> (instead of passwords) using the above pre-generated AES key list
> as input

I assume this is out of scope because john doesn't offer precomputation
like pyrit [2] for wpa-psk either.

thanks for your work!
looking forward to see krb5pa-md5-opencl and support for des-cbc-* etypes.

[1] http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2012/12/08/5
[2] https://code.google.com/p/pyrit/
[3] http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2012/12/10/1
[4]