Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 00:26:25 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: dmg2john used and password cracked, hdiutil fails to accept it

On 4 Mar, 2013, at 0:13 , Milen Rangelov <gat3way@...il.com> wrote:

> So iterations is 1000 in case we have 0 in the header? I think I have some
> faint memories about this. It was a long time ago though.

It seems that is the case though I did not really look into dmg2john now. Until recently, iterations was hard-coded at 1000 and we did not include that parameter in dmg2john's output. Then we realized this does not work on newer v2 files so I added it. But apparently it ends up as zero from v1 files. I opted not to change dmg2john now, but make the format foolproof.

The reason our test vectors worked fine was they were produced by older dmg2john so did not not have the extra field at all - that case was already taken care of.

magnum