Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 02:01:55 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPU Cracking and ./john --test

On 15 Feb, 2013, at 8:02 , Pedro Worcel <pedro@...cel.com> wrote:
> I've gotten to the point of actually testing the install, and that is my
> main issue resides. My computer freezes! Both when I run john --test or run
> the GPU test. (during the GPU test, it hangs while cracking phpass.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "the GPU test". If you were using --test without --format (ie, an all-formats test), this is not supported for GPU builds quite yet (it will be fixed in 1.8). Until then, do something like this:

for i in `../run/john --list=formats|grep -Eo '[^, ]+\-opencl'`; do ../run/john -test -fo:$i || echo -e "(that was $i)\n" ; done

But maybe more importantly, the GPU formats have evolved a LOT since Jumbo-7 (if that is what you are using). Try checking out (or download a tarball with) latest "unstable-jumbo" from GitHub, see:
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches#Incremental-patches-for-Jumbo

magnum