Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 04:39:33 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SSHA-512 supported?

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 07:35:22PM -0500, Jon Schipp wrote:
> In case this helps, from pwdalg.cfg
>

> "cost_num=cost
> *
> *       The default hashing iterations is 2^cost. The valid value of cost is
> *       an integer between 4 and 31, inclusive. The default cost value is 6."

Isn't this written in context of bcrypt hashes (which they call sblowfish)?
If so, we knew that, but it's irrelevant.

Do you suspect they were dumb enough to apply the same low iteration
counts for sha512crypt, where each iteration is a lot cheaper?  Well,
maybe.  Got to test the 1 to 999 range.

Alexander