Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 04:58:02 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Password Cracking a DMG...

Hi Jeremiah,

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 04:05:18PM -0800, Jeremiah Grossman wrote:
> When running dmg2john on the DMG the binary segfaults "Segmentation fault:
> 11". This behavior was exhibited not only on my original DMG, but any newly
> created DMGs of 11GB or greater with no data written. So, it appears to me
> with no knowledge of the codebase, this is some kind of filesize issue.
>
> From what I gather the conversations on Twitter, @gat3way @DhiruKholia
> @solardiz maybe have isolated the problem. I'm waiting a patch to be issued
> so I can try again.

Yes, we think we have isolated this problem, and found a few other bugs
in dmg2john in the process.  Here's the start of the john-dev thread:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/01/28/17

> There we some reports of an all zero hash issue on the DMGs, but that might
> have something to do with an on-the-fly patch attempted by @jmgosney. Don't
> know if that's helpful or not.

Maybe, or it may as well be a separate problem.

Can you try the attached patch?

And, what version of JtR are you using?  Latest jumbo release, current
unstable-jumbo from git, or current bleeding-jumbo from git?  (I've been
looking at the latter.)

Thanks,

Alexander

View attachment "dmg2john-1.diff" of type "text/plain" (602 bytes)