Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 05:29:08 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking md5 salted password

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:37:54PM +0000, fevere alleee wrote:
> Loaded 1 password hash (FreeBSD MD5 [128/128 SSE2 intrinsics 12x])
[...]
> guesses: 0  time: 7:18:20:36 0.00% (3)  c/s: 87711  trying: lg976r17 -
> lg976rk7

OK, this is sane speed for a quad-core CPU.  It's just about 15% slower
than what I'd expect for a Q6600, but maybe there was some other load.

> OS is centos 6.3 and how to check if GPU is there ?

If you have to ask, it means there's no decent GPU in there. ;-)

> Out of curosity, how long will it take to brute force password ( less that
> 15 chara ) with special characters ?

The words "brute force" can mean so many different things that to me
they're meaningless, which is why the official John the Ripper
documentation does not use them (-jumbo isn't as clean, though).

That said, the short answer is: it can take practically forever.

What you may do is try additional wordlists:

http://www.openwall.com/passwords/wordlists/#links

In particular, try rockyou.txt.bz2 available from the SkullSecurity wiki
(somehow it's down at the moment, but it should be back up soon).

You may also try more and bigger wordlist rulesets, such as
"--rules=jumbo" and additional rulesets downloadable here:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/rules

Why do you need to be cracking this specific password, though?  Why not
just reset it?

Alexander